Wynne Liberals’ partisan hydro ads in contempt of parliament: PCs
March 20, 2017
QUEEN’S PARK – Today, Ontario PC House Leader Jim Wilson charged that Kathleen Wynne’s taxpayer-funded hydro ads are in contempt of parliament. The self-congratulatory ads, which the auditor general has said are out of line, are running before legislation has been introduced, an alleged breach of parliamentary rules. MPP Wilson informed the Speaker today that he will rise on a point of privilege arguing a case of contempt by the Ministry of Energy.
“What we’ve got here is a clear case of electioneering from the Wynne Liberals using taxpayer dollars,” said Wilson.
The ads in question, touting the Wynne Liberals’ new hydro scheme, appeared on both social media and radio markets across Ontario.
Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown has already written to Minister Liz Sandals asking her to immediately stop the ad campaign, release a detailed account of the budget for these advertisements, as well as which consulting firms received the lucrative contracts. These ads are potentially costing millions of dollars while families, businesses, hospitals, schools and other institutions suffer every day from affordable electricity bills.
“Neither MPPs nor the public even know what the new hydro scheme looks like, what it will cost, and who will get left behind,” added Wilson. “Clearly, these advertisements serve no purpose other than to promote Kathleen Wynne’s re-election.”
“Based on past parliamentary rulings, we feel that we’ve got a very strong case. We look forward to hearing the ruling of the Speaker,” said Wilson, noting that the Ministry of Energy has previously confirmed that legislation is needed to enact this new hydro scheme.
Related Documents / Links:
BECOME A MEMBER